Family Picture

Family Picture

Monday, August 11, 2008

This is the Place - Heritage Park

On Wednesday August 6th, we went to This is the Place - Heritage Park. It was so neat and so much fun! You could spend days there because there is so much to do. We were there for four hours and we enjoyed every moment.

When we got there we decided to start out by riding the train around the park to see what was there. It takes you to all the major areas of the park and you can get out to see another place or keep riding. We rode the entire way around and at the end you see the most beautiful view of Salt Lake valley. It is so gorgeous!











After the train ride we went to one of the cabins there where the children got to do colonial chores. Our kids got to water the garden and they thought that was really cool.









When we were done with the chores we went in search of my old roommate who is a volunteer at This is the Place along with her children. We found her at the Andrus house and it was so much fun to see Emily again. We spent most of our college years with each other. Our first year at Ricks we were next door neighbors, our second year we hung out together, but were in different dorms. Then she was supposed to go to Utah State, but I got a call from her the second week of school at BYU and she says "Guess where I am?" I'm like "Utah State?" "Nope I'm at BYU!" I was so excited because all of my friends from Ricks went to Utah State except me. I was rooming with a bunch of girls I didn't know and didn't really like. Luckily Em's roommate was getting married, so I moved in with her winter semester and we remained roommates until we graduated.



Okay back to our day, after seeing Em, we went to the petting zoo. Shaylee had a love/hate relationship with the animals. She wanted to pet them, but just wasn't brave enough. Brandon and Kenyon rode the horses. Kenyon wasn't so sure about it once he got on the horse and the horse started moving. He was very nervous, but enjoyed it once he got going.





Then we went to ride on the mini train. This is a little train that you sit on and it goes around and around in a circle. The kids loved this train. It was a lot of fun. They tell the kids to scream as loud as they can in the tunnel because it has a cool echo. And boy did they ever scream! In fact the last time it was so loud that it scared Jaron and he started crying. Poor Jaron!



By this time the kids were hot and tired so we decided to get some icecream. Yummy! Shaylee was very generous to share her icecream with Jaron. Jaron took a bite out of the icecream and you could see the chill going up his spine. So I told him stick out your tongue and then I showed him, and he thought that was the coolest thing ever! After that all the kids wanted to share their icecream with him to see him lick it and then giggle. It was so cute!



After our break we wanted to see the puppet show, but no one ever came to open it up and we were tired of waiting. We went through the general store and Brandon bought a yoyo and Kenyon bought a back scratcher. Kenyon's back always itches, so he has been wanting a back scratcher forever.

Then we went on the wagon ride by Brigham Young's home. That was a lot of fun and very bumpy! You really have to hold on when the wagon starts or you could fall on the floor. Our horses names were Fred and Ethel. We thought those were funny names!



After that we let the kids play at the mini village that has a cabin, general store, wooden train and some other buildings the kids can play in. When we got to the mini village, Emily was there with her kids and we had fun watching our kids play together and visiting for awhile.









By this time it was two thirty and we hadn't eaten lunch, so we decided it was time to head out. We had such a wonderful time and I hope we can go back next year and do some of the crafts they have for the kids to do.

7 comments:

Tyler said...

boy sounds fun! i wish that is what we had to do other than the trek.
lol the jaron ice cream.
love tyler

cjdustin said...

Wow! That looks fun! We will have to do that next time we are in UT.

Tamara said...

We've done that, and the kids loved it. It's a great experience, and I really appreciated all the volunteers who made it possible.

Cindy said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun there. Wish I could've been there. Oh wait! I was there...Lucky me!

Ericka said...

This place looks like a lot of fun. I can't wait til I can go to Utah and not have time tied up with weddings. I've been out twice, but only have walked around Temple Square and the conference center. Hey, Shaylee and faith have the same sandals. Your pics are way cute!

Emily said...

I'm so glad you guys had such a fun time. I always worry that people will be bored to tears there - some are - it's designed for kids and people who love history. I'm afraid the other categories get kind of tired of it - like a 16 year old in our SS class!

Hope things are going well. Glad you made it out, again.

Love, Em

Emily said...

I should add, last year attendance at TITP was 4th for places like that in the nation. This year we're shooting for 2nd - after Williamsburg. There's no trying to get ahead of them because they're tens of thousands ahead of everyone else!