
Last Friday, November 7th, we headed down to Utah for my Grandma's funeral. I got the kids out of school an hour early and then picked Pete up at work on the way out. We got to Utah about 4 am. I was surprised to pull up to my parents house and see the lights on. I thought that they would be in bed, but they got up at 3:30 knowing that we would be pulling in soon. It shouldn't have surprised me. They can't sleep when they worry and they are both worriers!
On Saturday, we got up late and hung out together and enjoyed visiting. Sunday all of my siblings went to my parents ward. It was fun sitting in Relief Society with my mom and my four sisters. I can't remember the last time that happened. Sunday night was the viewing. It was a very long, sad and stressful evening. It was fun to see my cousins and friends who I have not seen in a long time. Luckily, Pete's mom lives in Pleasant Grove, so he and kids came and stayed for about an hour. Brandon was fascinated by the whole thing. He kept wanting to go up and look at her. I was really surprised that it didn't upset him. Pete has always been very open about death, so that is probably why.
Monday was my grandma's funeral. It was a rainy and dreary day. The weather matched our moods. There was another viewing that morning at the church before the funeral started. People kept coming and coming and coming. They finally had to cut the line off and close the doors, so the funeral wouldn't start late. I hate the closing of the casket ritual. It is just so final. I was very teary. My dad said the family prayer and he did a wonderful job.
The funeral was a great dedication to my grandma. It was definitely a celebration of her life and who she is. She has five sons and all of them spoke. My dad is the eldest and he spoke last. It was a wonderful way to end the funeral. He did a wonderful job. It is a different experience going to a funeral with young children. I would be getting all emotional thinking about my grandma and what was being said and then, I would hear, "mom, I can't find the red crayon!". It is harder to really be in the mood and sentimental with the kids there. The final song was "God Be With You Til We Meet Again". I hate this song at funerals because I just fall apart. I bawled through the entire song and was very sad.
After the funeral we had a luncheon put on by my grandma's home ward. We were able to really enjoy this time catching up with family. All twenty four grandchildren were able to be there. We got a picture of us all which was really fun. They also tried to take a picture with all the great grandchildren that were there, but that didn't turn out so well. Jaron got hysterical. I'm not sure why, but boy can that kid scream!
Kenyon really enjoyed the luncheon. He was very creative and came up with a brownie sandwich creation. Sounds yummy, huh? That is until you realize that this sandwich is two brownies with a piece of ham in the middle! YUM! I don't think people thought he would actually eat it, but he did! At least he made everyone laugh on sad day.
Kenyon's brownie sandwich
After the luncheon we headed down to Mona, Utah for the graveside service. My grandma and grandpa grew up in the tiny town just north of Nephi. It was cold and wet and we waited for about a half an hour for one of my uncles and his family to come. There was a little mix up on the time of the graveside service. My cousin Kelly dedicated the grave and did a wonderful job. It was a sad time and I have a hard time believing she is gone. I know that she is happy with my grandpa, her parents and siblings. I am so grateful for the gospel and the comfort that it gives me at times like these. I know I will see my grandma again and it will be a happy day. God be with you til we meet again grandma!
No comments:
Post a Comment