Family Picture

Family Picture

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Chapter 6- My nightmare and bowling

On Monday August 2nd, I got up early and dropped Pete off at the airport, so he could work that week. The kids and I were staying in Utah to have one more week hanging out with my family. That day we went to the park for lunch. It was a hot day and I was not feeling good, so I didn't last very long. While at the park, Pete called to tell me he was at the Portland airport, but wasn't feeling well, so he was going to go home instead of to work. I was sure that he had the flu and would be fine by the next day or Weds. I went on with my day and that night we went to the Golden Corral for dinner. On the way there Pete called to tell me that he was at the doctor's because the pain in his head and leg were so bad that the Ibuprofen he took did nothing for the pain. He told me he was waiting for results from a blood test the doctor had taken as a precaution. The doctor was pretty sure he had a virus, but decided to do a blood test to make sure. I was still not worried. I still thought he just had a virus and would be okay in a few days. During the middle of dinner I got another phone call from Pete telling me that his white blood cell count was way elevated and the doctor was sending him to the hospital because he was sure he had some kind of bacterial infection. This is when I started getting worried and I burst into tears in the middle of the Golden Corral.

The rest of the night was just worry and waiting to hear what was happening. Five hours after the first call a nurse finally called and told me what was going on. Pete had a spinal tap that didn't work, I was not pleased about that. They had some guy doing it who had only done it a few times before and just had no idea what he was doing. They would do another with a radiologist in the morning. I slept maybe an hour that night and called the nurse at four with more concerns. She told me that they had successfully done a spinal tap and that his fluid was clear so no meningitis, that was a relief to hear. At about six that morning, I was really sick to my stomach, so I went upstairs to get some string cheese and chocolate milk and I took it downstairs to my room. On my way down the stairs, I didn't turn on the light because I didn't want to wake up all the boys who were sleeping in the family room down there. The boy cousins all had a sleepover that night and had stayed up late, so I didn't want to disturb them. So, of course since it was dark, I missed the last two stairs and fell to the bottom. I spilled chocolate milk everywhere! It was on the wall, the carpet, the storage room door, my PJ's, my hair... what a mess. I also hurt my foot pretty bad. So, I limped up the stairs and cleaned everything up. Myself included and then got some more milk and went to bed. What a night! One of the worse of my life!

On Tuesday, we let the kids go to Boondock's. It has arcades, bowling, bumper boats, lazer tag, go carts and all kinds of fun things. The older kids got an all day pass and went off on there own. We took the little kids bowling. This outing was hard for me because my foot hurt so bad and I was so worried about Pete that my head just wasn't in it. I forgot my camera, so Cindy took pictures of my little ones bowling. I didn't get any pictures of my older ones since they were doing their own thing. Shaylee and Jaron LOVE to bowl, so they had tons of fun with their cousins.


He is so adorable!








That night about seven, Pete called me and told me the doctor had finally come to see him and that they had figured out what was wrong with him. He had a strep infection in his leg which caused him to have cellulitis. He had a developed a rash that afternoon and so they had a doctor come to look at him who was an expert at infectious diseases. He was a great doctor and was able to get Pete diagnosed and on the antibiotics he needed to really help him start getting better. So, Tuesday night was a much better night than Monday. I was still worried about him, but was no longer afraid that he was going to die on me!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I think Pete gave us all a good scare. Glad he is doing better.

Cindy said...

I do love that picture of Jaron - What a doll!

Stacey said...

First off....you're pregnant? Is this right? I just talked to you today and didn't even think that at all. Need more details about that later. Brody is still my baby for heavens sake. In a crib and everything! I loved about 5 of your projects and need help. If you really don't mind sending along those blog addresses that would be awesome!