Family Picture

Family Picture

Friday, August 15, 2008

If you knock on wood long enough, eventually someone will get stitches!

Yep! I have been a mother for over seven and a half years and finally one of my kids biffed it and had to get stitches. This was after saying a number of times to my mom and sisters while I was in Utah that we have had no broken bones or stitches yet in our family! KNOCK ON WOOD!

Who was it? Three boys, one girl. Take a wild guess? Anyone who knows my kids, knows that even though she is the only girl, she is my monkey! She is EVERYWHERE! She is much wilder than any of her brothers and yes it was Shaylee who ended up getting stitches first. When I called Pete and told him he said, "I knew it would be her!"

Shaylee was climbing my mom's stool up to the bar and her feet slipped under the rung and she and the stool crashed to the floor. It was one of those moments that seems to go in slow motion. I could tell she was going to fall, but I could do nothing about it. I saw Shaylee hit the back of her head on the chair behind her, so I picked her up to cuddle her and was looking at the back of her head when my sister Debbie says, "She's bleeding!" I am still looking at her back when Cindy says, "It's the front of her head!" I look and her face is dripping in blood! The bar stool had hit her forehead when she crashed to the floor. Me, being the best mom ever, pushes her off my lap and I say, "mom help me!" It was so shocking to see my baby dripping in blood! My mom took over and got Shaylee all cleaned up and snuggled back on my lap. As I'm sitting there trying to decide whether or not to take her for stitches, my sister comes and wipes my chin which is covered in blood. All I can say is thank heavens I was in Utah with my mom and sisters who love me so much and are always there for me.






Shaylee was so brave when she got her stitches. She just laid there and didn't cry at all. During the process I was holding her hand and trying to comfort her, but I could see them putting the stitches in her head and since I was already really queasy from all that had already happened, I started feeling faint. Luckily my mom came with me, so she took over soothing Shaylee, so I could sit down and put my head down! Shaylee got four suckers. One for each stitch and one for being brave! She ate two suckers at a time and had them gone in ten minutes!





I just want to tell my mom thanks for being the best mom ever! Thanks for being there for my baby girl when I couldn't be and thanks for being there for me, always! I love you! It is so nice to know that even though I'm thirty two years old, I can still be my mom's little girl and lean on her! Thanks mom!

6 comments:

The Morgans said...

Ouch! if your going to get stitches on your face I think she got them in a good place. I missed you and I am glad you are home.

Tyler said...

i still have my scar from when i split my head! were tins.
tyler

Kelly said...

Steph, it is nice that yo' momma was there to help you out. Mommas are great to have. But I think even if your momma hadn't been there, you would have done alright. You are a great momma yourself because you had a great example.

Gina said...

Tyler has been our only one to have stitches. I almost passed out when Tyler got his stitches, but I was pregnant at the time, so I had a good excuse.

Ericka said...

Sorry to hear about her stiches. It's not fun when your kids get hurt! Faith cut her head when she was 4, but they just glued it. Cayden has had stitches on his head and lip, fractured his toe before he was 2, and other various injuries. I've been to urgent care a lot with that boy. I'm glad that your mom was there to help. I'm sure you would have done fine though.

Unknown said...

k, I'm an idiot. I read this & got all emotional & starting welling up. I'm sorry you had to see your baby hurt, but I am happy that your mommy could comfort both of you! You are such a cute mom, Steph! btw, I'm glad you got the darling wood letters @ the reunion! :)