Family Picture

Family Picture

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Memories of my Grandma-


I stole this picture from my cousins blog.
This is more what my grandma looked like
before her stroke two years ago.


Now that I am a little more in control of my emotions I would like to write down some memories of my grandma.

My earliest memories of my grandma are at her house in Orem when we used to come visit every summer. I remember camping out on her patio. Having family parties on the holidays with homemade rootbeer and icecream. She was all about getting her grandkids together to play. She wanted us to be close to each other.

Some later memories are of visits she made to our home in Virginia. She helped my dad finish an entire room in our home for my mom while my mom was in Utah visiting her mom. She was a very giving and generous person. I also remember getting into many fights with my grandma. As I got older I realized that we are very alike in many ways and so that is why we knocked heads. We both had hot tempers.

When I went to college I stayed with her for a couple of summers. She let me use her truck to get to and from work and school. The last summer before my grandpa passed away I lived with them and I treasure those memories of both grandparents. My grandma loved to "do lunch" with her many friends and so my grandpa and I would "do lunch" with each other. We always went to the Kenny Rogers Roasters.

I worked at the BYU bindery while going to school. There were many mornings that my grandma would show up at the bindery with a bag of breakfast for me. Usually an egg mcmuffin or an eclair. She would say, " I know you probably forgot to eat breakfast this morning, so here you go". It meant so much to me. To this day, I have a hard time remembering to eat breakfast.

After marrying, Pete, my grandma and I got even closer. She loved Pete and thought my choice of husband was great. Pete and I got engaged at her home on 8th East on January 10th 1999. We visited my grandma often and enjoyed watching games with her. She is very entertaining to watch sports with! She gets quite violent with her suggestions about what her team should do to the other team.

My grandma is a feisty woman, who has tons of personality. If you met her, you would not soon forget her! She loved life, her sweetheart, her boys, her "daughters in love", her grand kids and her great grand kids (who knew her as grandma great- she loved that name!). I am sure her reunion with my grandpa was sweet. She missed him greatly and was lost without him. I am so happy for her, but sad for me. I will miss her. I love you grandma!

3 comments:

great grandma phelon said...

Did Grandma die? I am unaware. Your Grandma was a classy lady and very accomplished. I was very happy to meet her and see her in her lovely home.

Lots of Love, Kathy Phelon xoxoxo

Kelly said...

Steph thanks for writing down your memories, I enjoyed reading them. I will definately miss her but I am also glad that she doesn't have to hang around here any more always frustrated because she can't think of a name or word. I am sure she is a lot happier now. This makes me think of how important our families are--I miss you guys.

cjdustin said...

So sorry that you have lost your grandma. That's always hard. It sounds like you had a great life with her.