Family Picture

Family Picture

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Rockaway Beach

Last weekend on July 12-14 our family went and stayed at a friends Beach house on Rockaway Beach. Since I went to the American Idol concert on Friday night, we didn't leave for the beach until Saturday morning. Rockaway Beach is about twenty minutes north of Tillamook. So, of course our first stop on our trip was to go to the Tillamook cheese factory so we could eat the yummy cheese samples and have an icecream cone. When we pulled into the parking lot of the Tillamook cheese factory, Shaylee excitedly says from the back, "Mommy I see a fowm!" I could not understand her, so we're all taking different guesses about what she is trying to say- a foam? NO! a fan? NO etc... Finally I say you mean a farm? She says, "Yes!" We think she means the cows across the street, but that is still not what she is pointing at. Finally we realize it is the Chamber of Commerce building that is in the same parking lot as the cheese factory and is shaped like a barn! The whole conversation was so funny! She was so excited when we FINALLY figured out what she meant.




Next we dropped our stuff off at the beach house. It was a cute little three bedroom, two bath home decorated with all kinds of beachy things, mainly seahorses. It was so cute and so fun! We were a little nervous about our little ones (Jaron and Shay) breaking the breakable nick nacks that were everywhere, but they were very good and we were able to leave the house intact!
We then went to the beach. It was a really nice beach, but it was very windy and the sand kept blowing in the kids eyes. I had to keep Jaron's face hidden because it was really scarey to him. The other kids did okay with the blowing sand for awhile, but then they started getting it in their eyes and we had to pack up and head for home! We did get our kite up in the air and it flew really well.







On Sunday we went to the little branch in Rockaway beach and really enjoyed their church services. Then we headed out to Cape Meares and we kept on driving until we found this little town called Oceanside. We fell in love with it! It was so cute and it had the neatest beach. We found out later that it has some kind of tunnel you can go through. We will be going back to explore it a little more.








We left on Monday morning early so Pete could get to work and I could get the boys to swimming. It was such a fun trip and we owe it all to Pete's friend and his wife. Thanks Dave and Tacy Hannel for the use of your darling beach house!

6 comments:

Emily said...

How fun! Evan and I have been to the Tillamook cheese factory, too! It was so fun! You are so brave to do all those things with all your kids! WOW!

Stacey said...

Looks like a great time. Nice and sunny! We go there every year with Todd's family. The kids love the squeeky cheese at Tillamook. Mmmm.

Kelly said...

It sounds like you guys are always having a lot of fun together. I am sure your kids will always be close because of your efforts. Look forward to seeing you guys soon.

Ericka said...

What a fun weekend! I love the squeaky cheese at Tillamook. We haven't taken the kids there yet, but it's on our list. Your pics at the beach are really cute.

Pete said...

Squeeky cheese and German Chocolate Cake ice cream at the Tillamook Cheese factory...YUM!

And of course, we can't forget the Tillamook Country Smoker's yummy beef jerky we got at their factory store a few miles north of the Cheese factory on Hwy 101. Where else can you get a two foot pepperoni stick for $1?

I'm ready to head back to the coast!

Nicole Jackson said...

I love the Tillamock cheese factory! My favorite ice cream there is Marionberry Pie! My mouth is drewling thinking about it! My second favorite is brown cow? What's yours?