Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 2


July 8

We woke up early, because we were scheduled to go through the 9:00 temple session that morning. We ate breakfast at a really good buffet across the street from the hotel. Then we went to the temple. It was so wonderful and the Nauvoo temple is gorgeous! It has beautiful dark wood throughout and the most amazing winding staircase. It was so worth the trip just to go through the temple.



The sunstone

The moonstone

The star stone and the stained glass window

Joseph and Hyrum looking back at Nauvoo.


After the temple we checked out of the hotel and then headed to the historic part of Nauvoo. We went to the Scovil Bakery, Browning gun smith, the brickyard where we got a Nauvoo brick, the black smith where we picked up prairie diamonds for all the kids, the red brick store where we bought old fashioned hard candy, the Smith graveyard, and the Seventies Hall. We also went on a wagon ride around the whole historic district. There is so much to do at Nauvoo that you could stay for days, but we were limited on our time and wanted to see Carthage as well.

The blacksmith making a miniature horseshoe.

We headed to Carthage in the early evening. There we went on a tour of the Carthage jail. I am always so fascinated and moved by the events that lead up to Joseph Smith's martyrdom. It is amazing the spirit you feel as you think of all Joseph went through for the church and us and to die in such a sad and violent way. It is quite an amazing place.

The original jail they were in.

The bullet holes that went through the doors.


After leaving Carthage we headed to Galesburg Il to stay the night. We made a stop at Walmart to buy some goodies for our traveling days. We ate dinner at Subway. YUMMY! I love Subway. It's so much better than Whitecastle! Did I say how disgusting Sliders are? Gross! Then it was off to bed for another good nights sleep to prepare for a big day the next day.

On our way to the hotel. This gas station was
called Thornton's. Pete's best friend from
highschool's last name is Thornton. We
took this picture for him.

Isn't our rental car cute?




5 comments:

Debbie said...

Ok, I am totally jealous! I am dying to see the Nauvoo temple! Oh but the story in your previous post about you two almost missing your plane-I was laughing out loud! Sorry but it was funny-only cause you made it. If you had missed it that would have been sad!

Tyler said...

fun, but almost missing your plane in the last post was lol, i bet that wasn't the only thing grandpa was thinking.

Gina said...

Looks like you had fun. Maybe someday I'll make it back to Nauvoo.

Sister Kaylie Victoria Crofts said...

The Nauvoo temple is GORGEOUS! Sounds like a fabulous trip!

Nicole Jackson said...

I haven't seen the temple but I've been to Nauvoo twice! It's such a great place to visit and learn about our church history! You are going to be so glad that you documented each day because in about 6 months you'll definately forget some of those details so GOOD Job!!!