I had been looking forward our entire trip to go to Mackinac Island and when the day finally came, I was so excited! We caught the 10:30 ferry and headed out to the Island. Our ferry was pretty cool because it had a stream of water coming out the back in an arc. It also went pretty fast for a ferry. We were on the top deck of the ferry and got a great view of the island as we approached.


When we got off the ferry we headed to our carriage ride of the island. For those who don't know about Mackinac Island, it is where "Somewhere in Time" was filmed. On this island, they don't allow motorized vehicles, so everyone gets around by horse, carriage or bike. Pete and I chose to go by carriage.

This carriage took us to many fun places around the island. It dropped us off at Fort Mackinac where we were able to spend an hour or two looking at all the different buildings that made up the fort. It was really a neat place.


We also went on a self guided tour of the Grand Hotel. That is quite the place, but I don't think I would ever pay $300 to stay there!
The Grand Hotel
Closer view of the Hotel
The inside of the hotel
The porch of the Grand Hotel
The horse draw carriage pulling into the Grand Hotel
One of my future summer homes
This is really the one that will be my future summer home
One of the hotels on Main Street with shops below






10 comments:
I want to go there!!
I would love to got there! That was my mom's all time favorite movie! I've seen it toms of times!
What a beautiful place. The very, very, very sad thing is that we never went there when we were living in michigan!!! What a shame!!! What were we thinking??? I did go there once when I was a baby. BTW I love Somewhere in time and love that hotel! What a fun day I can see why it was your favovite!
Wow, what beautiful place. I don't care for the movie but the island is really pretty!
That movie Somewhere it Time haunts me with it's beauty and music! I totally recognized that porch and grand hotel. Who affords to live in those summer homes!? And a town you can only bike in...no cars? That's my dream. I'm not big on horses, but they'd come in handy for those long trips with the fam around town!
I've wanted to go there ever since I saw it on Dirty Jobs. Very beautiful!
Jealous doesn't begin to describe it - thanks for posting all these pics just to torture me :)
I love quaint and unique places like that. We'll have to go sometime!
Oh! Man! I know that movie by heart and I remember all the scenes filmed at those spots. I'm so jealous you got to go! Glad you had fun, though. It's so beautiful, isn't it?
I recognize that place from "Little People, Big World." The Roloff family went there!! I didn't even know that's where "Somewhere in Time" was filmed. ha ha
Wow, I'll have to remember that for any future get aways. It's beautiufl!!
Post a Comment